Sunday, September 05, 2004

Adidas King of the Road

This race attracted a number of participants probably because of the Adidas T-shirt. On race day, at least 5 of the runners whom I’ve helped to register did not turn-up. Reasons cited were illness, out of town and work commitment. I was looking forward to this run because I wanted to gauge my fitness level since it will be the same route as the KLIM and Power Run 2004.

Jln Duta Revisited

Woke up real early, 3:50 a.m. Ate 3/4 of PowerBar and gave the other quarter to Mee Peng. Mee Peng will be running her first 7km distance under the Women Veteran category. Contemplated whether I should wear my contact lenses* or stick to my glasses. Decided to try something different and went for the contacts.

While driving, I had an unexplained mild chest discomfort but luckily it disappeared during the race. Reached Dataran at 6:30 a.m and met up with Cheah. I have photographed every running event but this time I do not have a photographer since Mee Peng was running as well. Determined to photograph somehow, decided to take the camera first for some pre-race shots. Since I had to rush back to the Dataran basement car park after the shooting, I made sure I observe the time by looking at the Clock Tower. To my chagrin, the Clock Tower was dead! Bad feng shui!

After struggling with the camera's aperture and some insignificant shots, I left the Ixus back in the car. Entered the barricade and met up with Jaime, Newton, Kenneth and the rest.

Flag-Off

Bang! Off we go. This is probably one of the biggest 10km group. I thought I was starting-off rather conservatively until I suddenly realized I was about to overtake Sifu (Jamie)! Immediately, I joked "Eh! How can I overtake Sifu?" and decided to fallback. Sifu quipped, "It's not me but it’s you going fast!" 3 of us, Newton, Kenneth and myself were running closely together. We were also secretly chasing a Cutie. Just before the Bank Negara tunnel, Cheah called me from behind. 4 of us were pacing rather well. In the midst of running the BNM hill, Newton introduced me to Kenneth and likewise I introduced Cheah to both of them.

Shortly after the 2nd kilometer, Cheah switched to his normal pace and went ahead. Newton and I bumped into an ex-La Sallian schoolmate, Sivapalan. At the 3rd kilometer, Kenneth and Newton surged ahead. Was able to tail them until the water station. Thereafter I lost sight of the pair.

Took only a sip of the 100 Plus. Did not drink the whole cup, as I do not know the effects of the gas and risk tummy ache.

Duta Hill

Ah, the Duta Hill again. In the previous 2 races, I had to walk. In fact, the last occasion, Power Run I overexerted and suffered stomach cramps. Normally at this section, runners will take a breather and walk. Fewer runners were seen walking. The KOTR runners are a determined bunch. I planned not to walk too and succeeded. Endured the very slow non-stop uphill jog to the top - no more over optimistic “Hamburger Hill” style of charging.

Downhill speed

After conquering the hill, it was downhill speeding. Ran with long strides - felt like an Olympian! Overtook quite a number of runners. At 7.5 kilometer, I began to slow down. I could hear groups of runners stomping from behind. In the span of 20 seconds, at least 10 runners whizzed past me like wild horses galloping. They probably thought this runner lack endurance! These runners appeared to have conserved their energy for the final kill, the attack of the last few kms. I did not have the ammunition to join in the foray.

Only 10 minutes

Just as I was approaching the Parlimen flyover, a lady Caucasian runner in her 20s shouted "Only 10 minutes! Only 10 minutes! Come on!" She was running high on MP3 and urging the walkers to run. All the walkers followed her encouragement and started running! I followed her closely. At the start of the uphill flyover I put in a little more pace and it was enough to overtake her. The next checkpoint was important, the National Monument bus stop. Stopwatch displayed 59:27 mins. To break into sub-70, I must run the last leg in less than 10 minutes. Normally at this downhill stretch I would be able to do short sprints but not this time. I was out of gas. The best I could do is to maintain a steady run to the finish.

Approaching the clock tower, I saw a familiar figure. It was Mee Peng running. I ran along side and said "Kum Garm Kaer" (What a coincidence) and zoom off. At the finishing line, my stopwatch clocked 1:07:52. Yes, I had done it in 68 minutes - an improvement of 4+ minutes from the last Power Run.Mee Peng was right behind, finishing 76th just one short of the medal position. She clocked 55 mins.

The Milo drink station was miles long. Went back to the car to get water and camera. Met up with Newton, Kenneth and Jamie's mates for a group photo. Took a picture of Mee Peng's colleagues Cheah, Alice and Ong. We waited for the lucky draw but no luck. The lucky draw was poorly conducted. Our minds were now craving for food. Felt so hungry. Later, whacked a big packet of Jinjang Nasi Lemak sotong, ayam etc. Food never tasted so good and justified.

That was it. Another Run, another healthy day fulfilled.

Footnote: Contact lenses
With the contact lenses I was able to run with my head down! Something I could not do with glasses on. I did this each time I struggle uphill or need a boost. The head down ritual has 2 functions: first it allows the sweat to drip straight from the face to the ground and second it was like a silent prayer "i am exhausted…please let me have the inner strength to continue please..." Lasik surgery next?

No comments: