Sunday, March 05, 2006

KLIM 2006


I must confess I enjoyed running last year’s KLIM. It is not overly hilly, city sights and in a company of good friends. 2 weeks before the race, I did a 12 lapper at KLCC and ran-climb FRIM. Based on my running log, my last 12-lapper was Feb 24, 2005. It’s been a year since I trained a “long run” that exceeds 15kms.

Nostalgia

Set my alarm to go off at 4:15 a.m. but was pleasantly awaken by Jamie’s good luck sms. Reached Dataran at 6 a.m. Met CS, Newton, Kenneth and Ronnie who were all doing the half-marathon. 2 years ago I ran my first race here in the 10km event. It’s my 2nd Anniversary run.

The strong reverberations of the gendangs (drums) accompanied the start of the race– true Malaysian ambience!

For the first 2kms, Newton, CS and I were pacing together. CS has improved so much that he is now able to keep us company. Just before the left turn to Jalan Mahameru, CS excused himself to run at his pace. The 270- degree turn took us to the Federal Highway. An old Malay man, smiling, hooted his car from the opposite direction to give us his support. Perhaps, he was a runner himself during his heydays. Thanks Pakcik!

Eastern Runners

After Kuen Cheng School we could hear behind us 2 female runners, chatting in an Eastern language probably Russian. I almost rubbed shoulders with the Blonde when she and her partner appeared on my right to overtake us. Somebody exclaimed “SOLID!!!” The Blonde’s short (or was it a bikini?) was so short, we could see her bottoms – the type worn in beach volleyball. Blondie sniggered and knew all the male runners were drooling at her. Incidentally, a group of “over zealous” runners were seen to be in hot pursuit of these fabulous ladies.

9 km

After the second water station, my right thigh was beginning to play truant again. I can feel it tightening. Told Newton who has been so kind to keep me company this far, to go ahead as I fallback. Reached the 10km sensor mat in 64.5 mins (benchmark KLIM ’05 I was 2 mins slower).

PowerGel

The opened PowerGel was distributed but the water station ran out of water! I have already downed my gel. Penguins and a few of the veteran runners were seen salvaging discarded unfinished bottled water that was strewed on the road. One of them quipped “ Survivor! Survivor!”. Newton found a bottle too and I caught up with him to take his offer for a gulp. Hopefully, the previous drinker isn’t H5N1 positive.

Stress Mode

Unlike other races, I did not look for a pacer but concentrated on my leg condition and breathing. At Dewan Pustaka, I grit my teeth to run as close as possible to the runners in front of me to narrow the gap as I was afraid the police might release traffic at key crossroads. I managed to evade all of them until I came to the Jln Ampang – Jln Sultan Ismail intersection. The MIB suddenly allowed the vehicles to move along even when there was no break in the trailing runners! About 6 runners came to a complete stop!

But I didn’t stop. I was mad. With brain cells depleted of oxygen, I slurred 2 words “OOOOIIIII! FxxK!!!”. Raised my right arm to get the drivers attention, ignored the MIBs and cautiously crossed the road. Thankfully, all the vehicles without hooting stopped upon seeing my signal to let this desperate runner go.

It was risky, I know, but please MIB, there are many foreign runners in this major event. Please don’t embarrass our country.

Sogo


I reached Sogo in 2:06:11. At the back of my mind, I knew it would now be difficult to match or better last year’s time. Would this be another 2:29:xx finish for the 3rd consecutive time? This time round the organizers have improved by placing 2 water stations in the last 2kms. Good work! However, it also meant I had an excuse to walk twice to re-hydrate.

Finishing

200 meters from the finishing line I heard somebody called my name, I think it was Newton and Kenneth. There was no overtaking. I wanted to surge but the leg couldn’t. All of us ran in a single flank to the finish. My stopwatch clocked 2:26:32. I was puzzled why I was not in total exhaustion (?) unlike last year. Perhaps it was the heavy drinking?

Post Mortem

I was well hydrated through out the race and this is a sign the organizers of KLIM have improved. The Standard First Aid station first followed by the water station and occasional ice-cold sponge station is a brilliant idea, which in my opinion is better than the Singapore Marathon!

For the first time, there was a massage tent and ice pools for the swelling feet.

KLIM can improve further by reviewing the quality, clarity and promotion of its brochures. The T-shirt was one of the ugliest I have gotten in a race, looks like a piece of discoloured car wash rag. Sometimes simple could be best.

CS ran an amazing race, shaving off 30 mins from last year’s run. Newton exonerated the “cramp” factor by finishing the run without any problems. Jamie and Ben ran the much-anticipated friendly Marathon duel with both PR. Well done my friends!

Half-way driving home, my wife suddenly popped a question “How come your running time seems to have stagnant despite so many races?”. I answered what most runners would answer, “Low mileage”. I never formulate a training regime and almost zero race plan. I read in an article that they are 30% of the people whose fitness level would not improved despite exercising.

The constant zest to run the next race better and further is what makes a runner tick. I must keep the clock ticking!

No comments: