Sunday, September 10, 2006

Putrajaya Half Marathon 2006

I will be expecting the sun to glow; a twisty route and the many steel bridges gleam with pride as I perform my 24,000 strides. I had a relatively longer than expected pre-race night sleep, 6 hours.

Wrong venue

Arrive at the site where I parked last year but was surprised the area was dark with no activities. As we walked towards the bridge, an official told us the venue is further up, at least 1 km away. I began to panic and ran back to my car. Later, Mee Peng relayed to me many runners were caught unaware of the change of venue. A car stopped to offer a runner who had begun running, a ride.

After unsuccessfully locating the carpark, no thanks to poor signboards, I stop in front of half a dozen policemen who were chatting amongst themselves, to ask for directions. Mee Peng took over the wheel, as we knew I would not have time to park. Walk briskly towards the barricade and within seconds, the run started!

At km-1, I saw Choi from the sidewalk snapping pictures. Called him and later he caught up where we paced together for a few minutes before he took off. The early morning weather was cloudy hence we were spared the scorching sun.

Km-10

I was surprised at my pace. I hit the 10km milestone in sub-60 minutes. Have I improved so much? My mind began to wander….

Km-19?

Approaching Dataran Putra I was excited when I saw a signboard that says 39 kms. My stopwatch showed 2:01:16. Breaking my last year’s record was imminent. I looked straight ahead and could see the distant “finishing line”. Then I was caught by the unexpected, runners had to make a loop around the finishing line! The last km (I max out already) became the last 3 kms! This explains my “perceived” improvement. The last water station had an amusing signboard that says 41 kms. 200 meters to finish but I couldn’t see the finishing line. I started walking.

The Walk

My calves began to tighten. I could feel my muscles seizing anytime. After making a final right turn, I finally saw the finishing line. Choi was waving to me with his camera to move to the left. I pick up a limping run and smiled for the lens. Thanks to Choi for being the cameraman from start to finish.



I finish in 2:27:06. I believe this year’s route is longer. Mee Peng finished her 7km run in 55th position in 48 mins. She received her first ever medal. Both our bibs were numbered "001".

The Corrupt

I bought a large 94gm Deep Heat analgesic tube for RM10 – a real bargain. We wanted to drink more water but the stock seems to be depleting. What surprised me was the officials were “selling” the 6-pack sponsored can drinks openly for RM5 when it should be distributed free. Some runners were carting away cartons of bottled water. I saw a pickup truck loading at least 7 boxes and counting. Are they here to run or open a mini-market?

Overall, we were happy with the spacious new location, more than sufficient water stations and good weather. We will be back next year.

No comments: