Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Blessing in disguise

My cancelled 2-week mandatory leave brought me luck. A vendor sponsored an RM3K+ ITIL Fundamentals professional certification 3-day course of which I would not have been able to attend had I gone to Bangkok. I took the exam and passed. I last took an official paper qualification test 19 years ago!

Airasia has graciously credited back the unused flight tickets to a special account that must be utilized within 3 months. This goes to show what an excellent company Airasia is. My salutations go to Tony Fernandes and his impeccable team. “Mana Ada Sistem” ought to learn from this customer’s Wow experience.

Had I known the unpredictable corporate audit visit was in the proximity of my holiday timetable I would have rescheduled it. With the inevitable cancellation, I had more time to organize and prepare for the all-important event. It was pure relief when the auditors did not have a single finding on my unit. Failing an ARR audit is a death sentence, literally means you are inept and to be sent to the firing squad.

My father-in-law suffered severe travel sickness when we went up to Fraser’s Hill yesterday. In my opinion, the 31 kms of endless zigzags stretching from Teras/Tranum to Kuala Kubu Baru, is the most winding road in West Malaysia. Things could be worse had he been in the plane.

Potential Runner?












My in-laws cursed the Hill. I lead them to the Jeriau Waterfalls and to our disappointment the water was muddy due to contamination. My brave 6-year old niece, Jing Lin surprised me with her athleticism when she climbed the steep stairs after stairs all by herself and was the first to reach the end of the waterfall unaided ahead of everybody else! Perhaps I can train her to be a runner someday :)

Incidentally, my last visit here was 1979 where my deceased dad drove his 1200cc green Toyota Corolla bringing along his mother-in-law, my maternal grandma. I still remember granny grumbled, “This place is a jungle”.

Fraser’s Hill is not a good place to bring your in-laws!

No comments: