Sunday, May 18, 2008

NB Pacesetters 15km

I used to clip my bib, select my socks, careful diet, study the route etc., at latest the night before the race. Over time, I have slackened and only do the essentials on race day morning.

When I got up, there was only one thing that troubled me. Should I take a risk and wear the brand new untested Asics Gel-Empire 2 shoes which I bought yesterday? Temptation overcame the fact that one should never wear a totally fresh pair of running shoes in a race. I lube Vaseline all over my toes (which I don’t normally do for distances below 21kms), as a precaution to mitigate abrasion. The other 2 factors were that the US size 9.5 shoes fitted snugly and I am not a fast runner.

Mee Peng was assigned to assist at the 1st water-station. The starting point was not properly cordoned with an entry point causing several runners to look for the “out-of-stock” elastic wrist ribbon-strap.

The regulars: Choi, Jamie, Kenneth, Tey and Geraldine were there. Shortly, after the start Kenneth ran up to me and said to pace with him. I told him I may not be able to keep up.
As it turned out I ran ahead.

After passing the National Monument the 2nd time, I thought I was heading towards the finishing (I didn’t study the route) at Padang Merbok. I use all my reserves and was astonished by the impressive time I was achieving.

Ha! It turned out I had to do another loop at Bank Negara! Even though it was a downhill, my strides dwindled. I soon ran out of gas.

Kenneth eventually caught up and overtook me in the last 1 km near Bank Negara. It was also at this point, my shoes which had been performing so well in the last 14kms began to feel constrictive.

At the finishing line, my fellow faithful photographer Mr. Tey Eng Tiong was again there to snap the finishers.
I finished in 1:44:04. I am much slower this year. What is important is to keep going, for better endurance or for better health. The latter is assured.

This year's route will be different. RM15 new PACM T-shirt.

My first Asics shoes. Gel Empire 2.


The Porridge Tow-Kay. The bubur was silky smooth.

The NB 1221, Mizuno Strada and Brooks Forza are going to Charity. Fabric and insoles still in good condition.


There were quite a number of veteran photographers.


Laptops at work.

Captain Ronnie taking results.

Left is our house neighbour Ling.

Km-5 waterstation.




No comments: