Saturday, August 02, 2008

Raub Durians


I had abstained and avoided the king of fruit long enough. The opportunity to saviour this great delight came when my friend Fook Shing invited me for a "Eat all you can" durian feast in Kg. Tras, Raub, Pahang. An event organized by the Heriot-Watts club. Kenny was even more keen, not just for the durians but the sheer excitement of visiting a fruit orchard farm thrilled him. Raub was also his birthplace. 6 of us + Kuan Li the only child, fit into Shing's 7-seater Toyota Avanza.


About 8 cars parked under the durian trees amongst the trimmed down short mangosteen trees. Everybody including myself was eyeing the famed "Musang King". When I finally got to eat a piece, it wasn't that great. I preferred the other stronger flavoured thick yellow-orange flesh which I did not get to identify its species.


With no more than 15 seeds, my stomach bloated and I had to surrender. After the gluttonning, we wandered off to pick more durians. The orchard owner allowed whatever dropped on the ground can be tar-pau (take-away) back, despite protest from his wife.


We greedily collected 33 durians of various sizes and hundreds of mangosteens! Despite a stuffy stomach, we still had room to eat the famous Bentong homemade ice-cream. It has been a long while since I had this kind of food for breakfast and lunch.




The orchard owner.


Dog eating Durian.


Kuan Li's first encounter with a durian tree.





Musang King


First bite.






Famous Bentong homemade ice-cream.


Corn and vanilla ice-cream.




1 comment:

Traveler said...

Hi, I came across your blog while searching for contacts for durian sellers in Kg Tras. I'm organizing a car club convoy and we're hoping to stop in Kg Tras for durians.

Those durians in your pics look yummy!

Would you happen to have the contact info of any of the durian orchard owners or sellers?

Would really appreciate the info.

Thank you very much.