Sunday, September 09, 2007

Mizuno PaceSetters 10 km

This is one event I look forward to receive my favourite Mizuno T-shirt. With Mizuno’s generous sponsorship, I feel I should reciprocate their support by wearing their blue T-shirt and of course, my faithful Mizuno shoes.
A good product will promote by itself without the endorsement from famous sports personalities.

Despite arriving rather early at 6:40 a.m, the road shoulder was fast filled with cars. While Mee Peng went to help at the base water-station, I had ample time to do shopping! Bought a Mizuno running shorts for RM40 (usual RM68) and salivated the expensive Finnish SUUNTO outdoor watches that range from RM700 – RM4000!
I must get one of these GPS gadgets one day (hopefully it gets cheaper).

Met Jamie and Kenneth at the starting line. It’s been awhile since I last ran with them. With my measly weekly mileage of 5km per week there isn’t much the body can offer. The only time I exceed a double-digit mileage is when I join the Sunday races.

This year’s participation is a record, well over 2000+ entrants. I started off comfortably but when the hills came, my under trained legs faltered. Walking came naturally on at least 3 occasions. Coming to Kementarian Pertainian, a male runner collapsed and had to be assisted by 4 runners. Tey Eng Tiong was one of the helpers (Tey relayed to me later the runner regained conscious to finish the race).

100 meters from the finishing line, there was already an unusual line of 20+ runners queuing up. I stopped my stopwatch at 1:09:10. As we walk towards the official finishing line, an official stood up from his chair, franticly punching the laptop’s numeric keypad to record the runners’ bib number.

Perhaps, Pacesetters could do a post-mortem on how to cope with the increased participation of this magnitude. I am not sure if the photographer was able to capture the photo finishing of each runner.

I went to look for Mee Peng and she appeared to be struggling with the Endurance drink. Some runners thought the Raspberry PowerBar Endurance sports drink was Syrup water! I assisted her as much as I could.

Met Francis Cheng a 72-year-old Marathoner who will be going to the NYC Marathon in Nov 4. It was inspiring to see a man of his age with a physique of an athlete. Inspiring indeed.

After wrapping up at 10 a.m, we were off to a charity event at Taman Tasik Jaya.


Choi, Francis Cheng and Jamie.

The Powerbar drink that many thought was syrup water.

No comments: